Under the direction of journeymen, the sheet metal pre-apprentice responsibilities include, but are not limited to, assisting with manual labor and the layout, fabrication, assembly and installation of sheet metal systems and related items.
To perform this position successfully, the employee must perform each essential responsibility satisfactorily. These functions are representative, but not all-inclusive, of what is necessary to succeed in this position.
- Assist journeymen and foremen in preparing and completing jobs
- Learn and apply new skills through available on-the-job training
- Use hand and power tools safely to perform work
- Perform work from ladders, mechanical lifts and confined spaces using all required safety measures
- Follow all safety rules and regulations without exception
- Read plans and specifications to install project requirements
- Measure, cut, fabricate and install sheet metal components under supervision
- Move materials and supplies using proper ergonomics
- Load and unload vehicles, stack pallets and organize inventory
- Maintain a clean and organized job site
- Learn and apply skills for proper use of equipment including but not limited to grinders
- Work the assigned schedule, which may fluctuate based on customer needs and may include some evenings, nights and weekends, with or without overtime.
- Perform any special assignments, additional projects or other job-related duties as may be necessary to carry out the responsibilities of this position as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES include, but are not limited to:
- Minimum age 18
- Prior experience in construction a plus
- Strong mechanical aptitude
- Excellent work ethic and attendance record
- Ability to safely and efficiently operate drills / tools of the trade
- High energy level
- Must be able to stay on task and be self-motivated
- Physical ability to climb, crawl, lift heavy items and work in a variety of environments, including indoor/outdoor, hot/cold weather, confined spaces, heights, etc. (any necessary safety training will be provided prior to entering these environments)
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
(The physical demands described here are representative, but not all inclusive, of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
This position may include work in both a shop environment and in the field on jobsites, both enclosed and not enclosed. It will include constant exposure to an environment with various machines and equipment, requiring the use of personal protective equipment such as safety glasses (and other safety gear). While in or near production areas, employee will need to exhibit quick visual and physical responses as necessary.
Work is performed at various jobsites, including but not limited to new construction, hospitals, industrial buildings, chemical, power and waste water treatment plant, and commercial or institutional buildings. Work is done in buildings, trenches, on roofs or inside tunnels or confined spaces.
Must be able to: Constantly stand and/or walk for long periods of time during a regular work day; constantly use arms and hands to reach for, often overhead, to handle and manipulate objects and materials; regularly lift and carry materials weighing 10 to 50 pounds unassisted; frequently climb up and down ladders, scaffolds and other climbing devices; regularly carry tools and equipment; frequently and repetitively work while in stooped, kneeling, crouched, and crawling positions; regularly work in close quarters and/or confined spaces; be able to see naturally or with correction, to safely perform designated tasks and this includes being able to see close, far and field of vision.
Must be able to: regularly perform assigned tasks under all types of environmental and weather conditions including severe cold, extreme heat, wet or dry weather and high winds. Environmental conditions may include areas where toxic or caustics chemicals or fumes are in use or being stored and in these environments, appropriate safety and respiratory gear will be provided. Noise intensity levels can be high, and hearing protection is provided by HMI; Close proximity to moving mechanical parts; Working in high, exposed levels as well as in close, cramped quarters. May be required to operate or work around power-actuated hand tools such as ram-sets, Hilti-guns, etc.
HOW TO APPLY:
Email cover letter and resume to Khallie LeSage at [email protected]