POSITION SUMMARY: Under the direction of journeyman, the Sheet Metal Pre-Apprentice responsibilities include various tasks in assisting with manual labor and the layout, fabrication, assembly and installation of sheet metal systems and related items. This is an entry level sheet metal position with a lot of growth opportunities, including excellent long term pay and benefits, and potential for the apprenticeship program.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: To perform this position successfully, the following responsibilities must be performed satisfactorily. These functions are representative, but not all-inclusive, of what is necessary to succeed in this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential job functions. The following responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assist journeymen and foremen in preparing and completing jobs
- Learn and apply new skills through available on-the-job training
- Use hand and power tools safely to perform work
- Perform work from ladders, mechanical lifts and confined spaces using all required safety measures
- Follow all safety rules and regulations without exception
- Read plans and specifications to install project requirements
- Measure, cut, fabricate and install sheet metal components under supervision
- Move materials and supplies using proper ergonomics
- Load and unload vehicles, stack pallets and organize inventory
- Maintain a clean and organized job site
- Work the assigned schedule, which may fluctuate based on customer needs and may include some evenings, nights and weekends, with or without overtime.
- Perform any special assignments, additional projects or other job-related duties as may be necessary to carry out the responsibilities of this position as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Able to pass a pre-employment drug test
- Mechanically inclined
- Excellent attendance record including being punctual and dependable
- Ability to read and write English, follow verbal instructions and use simple math
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Working as a team, adapting to changing work priorities, and working with constant interruptions
- Must be able to stay on task and be self-motivated
- Able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs. unassisted
- Able to meet the physical demands of the job as indicated below
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: (The physical demands described are representative, but not all inclusive, of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
The performance of this position may include exposure to shop and/or job-site construction conditions. This may include exposure to environments with various machines and equipment, requiring the use of personal protective equipment such as safety glasses, hearing protection and other safety gear. While on or near work sites, employee may be required to walk, stand, climb (ladders), see, hear and talk. Quick visual and physical responses to changing work site conditions are necessary.
This description is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty that will be required of positions that will be given this title and shall not be construed as declaring what the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct and control the work of employees under supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of similar kind or level or difficulty.
JOB TYPE: Full-Time Hourly, Non-Exempt
WAGE RATE: Competitive, negotiable based on experience and qualifications.
HOW TO APPLY: Email cover letter & resume to Jamee Schleis at [email protected].
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.